Home » Charter Spectrum »Consumer News » Currently Reading:

Charter Spectrum Shutting Down Home Security Service in February

Phillip Dampier December 12, 2019 Charter Spectrum, Consumer News 54 Comments

Charter Communications has notified customers of Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks’ home security services that it intends to discontinue both services in February, leaving many customers with hundreds of dollars in equipment that will be rendered useless when the service closes down.

“At Spectrum, we continually evaluate our products to ensure we are bringing you superior, consistent and reliable service. We perform regular reviews of our services and as a result, effective February 5, 2020, we will no longer be providing or supporting Spectrum Home Security service.”

Formerly known as Time Warner Cable IntelligentHome and Bright House Networks’ Home Security & Control, the two home security services are legacies of the two former cable companies acquired by Charter Communications. Charter showed no interest in marketing the security services under the Spectrum brand, although the company agreed to continue supporting existing customers until now. Top executives were reportedly disinterested in the prospect of selling home security products and services.

The news has not been welcomed by customers, many who made substantial investments in optional alarm system add-ons that were purchased by customers. At least one spent over $1,200 bolstering the basic security system offered by the two cable companies with additional door contacts, motion detectors, smoke detectors, keypads, fobs, and other extra cost add-ons. That equipment, which normally supports the Zigbee standard, will be rendered inoperative in February because both companies locked the hardware to their specific cable systems, making it currently impossible to repurpose the equipment with another alarm system or service.

A DSL Reports reader is fuming:

All these devices are Zigbee based, made by a major player in the Zigbee devices game. Under normal circumstances, you would be able to take all your stuff and move it over to your own home automation solution (Samsung SmartThings, Wink, Hubitat to name a few). But nope, not Spectrum’s devices. Early on they were firmware coded to prevent them from being seen and usable within the normal universe of Zigbee devices. With a couple of exceptions Spectrum’s Zigbee devices will only see the Spectrum Zigbee universe. So essentially after Feb. 5, 2020 your house full of Zigbee devices will be useless.

The criminal part in this is that with literally a 10 minute fix and firmware to those devices BEFORE they shutter their service would open them to the universe of compatible Zigbee devices but you can take to the bank that Spectrum isn’t going to do it, otherwise they would have mentioned it with the announcement. All those hundreds of dollars (thousands in some cases) down the drain… how does that make you feel?

Those of you with Home Security should be demanding that Spectrum either buyback each and every device they will be orphaning OR they do the right thing and push a simple firmware update that allows the devices to play in the normal Zigbee universe of devices allowing you to make the decision as to which hub and ultimately service you subscribe to.

Spectrum instead has signed a deal with Abode, a competing provider, that is offering to rip existing Spectrum home security equipment out of subscriber homes and replace it with a new basic system starting at $179 a year. Add-ons will be offered at a 25% discount, but will still require customers to spend hundreds more to replace almost every alarm related sensor in their home. Would-be customers are also warned in the fine print free installation is only applicable for the basic Abode Alarm 8-piece alarm kit. Installation of additional devices or accessories will be at an additional cost, which is likely in the range of several hundred dollars for more elaborate systems.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

54 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Colin
Colin
7 months ago

What a terrible waste. I despise Spectrum for pulling this crap. They really suck. No way will I keep any other subscriptions with them after this!

Shaun johnson
Shaun johnson
7 months ago

If Spectrum refuses to either unlock or buy back their security devices, I will cancel “ALL” my spectrum services, TV, Phone, Internet, and e-mail. Spectrums stance on their decision to change their security devices and not unlock them is unethical and poor business practice.

Burl Schnarl
Burl Schnarl
7 months ago

Pfft…this is an old Time Warner Cable product. Charter never even promoted it after the acquisition. I’ve had my system for years, it’s served it’s purpose. Sure I bought all kinds of devices but I probably spent more on coffee over the same amount of time. I’m glad they are killing it, gives me a reason to recycle this and upgrade.
Judging by the handful of negative comments on the interweb, it’s apparent most people feel the same as I do.

Roux Oli
Roux Oli
Reply to  Burl Schnarl

Judging by all of the comments I have seen, you are wrong. People are pissed, and rightfully so.

Allen Hill
Allen Hill
4 months ago
Reply to  Burl Schnarl

It’s NOT apparent. And I in no way feel as you do.

Lyn Ann
Lyn Ann
7 months ago

Ready for a class action law suit? Spectrum Home Intelligent owes me for two cameras ($150 each) in addition to the several other sensors and fob that was purchased. I could hardly afford to install a security system the first time around. Not fair, not right, and I’m super unhappy.

Kenneth Deitz
Kenneth Deitz
Reply to  Lyn Ann

I am angry. I spent a load of money in installments each month to buy this system AND pay the monthly monitoring fees! I think compensation for this ABANDONMENT is due. Suddenly, I am left with a costly white elephant? I bought my system in 2015 and was paying into 2016. I will join the class action lawsuit. Please note they have added insult to injury by asking for the parts of the system I paid for BACK!

Brandy Strickland
Brandy Strickland
Reply to  Lyn Ann

I so would be up for that class action lawsuit!!! It’s bull crap they can do this and get away with it!!! It’s putting our families in un safe homes and putting undue worry and stress on home owner over the safety of their families and possessions!!! So not ethical at all!!! They put money above the safety of their customers!!!!

Popo Sattic
Popo Sattic
3 months ago
Reply to  Lyn Ann

Id happily join you in a suit. I have a house full of their Equiptment and junk littering my house and can’t afford someone to remove it.

Sok Puppette
Sok Puppette
7 months ago

Only a goddamned idiot would use a security or building automation system that wasn’t under their own total control to begin with.

A taken former customer.
A taken former customer.
7 months ago
Reply to  Sok Puppette

It takes one to know one. Get lost.

Derek
Derek

Agreed.. Get lost.

Disgusted Oldman
Disgusted Oldman
Reply to  Sok Puppette

There are a lot of people that are not very technically inclined. There areas of expertise is in other areas. I just retired from 35+ years working in electronic communications and sometimes it gets confusing for me.

Ryan Faley
Ryan Faley
Reply to  Sok Puppette

Pretty much

Sok Adversary
Reply to  Sok Puppette

Just the opposite Sok Puppette. Only an idiot (@sockpuppette?) would not use those resources.

I’m thinking idiot = tool. Thinking you = the whole friggin shed of tools. Do the math.

Annette Gentile
Annette Gentile
7 months ago

How can you do this to loyal customers. I’ll tell all my friends how disappointed I am. Shame on the management who allow this.

Randy
5 months ago

i can understand how you feel. If your in Central Florida conact us if not find a good local alarm contractor to provide your security. Always best to go with a comapny that have experence and will offer you a great system at a great price.

A taken former customer.
A taken former customer.
7 months ago

Spectrum are dishonest, spiteful. Learned well from our president.

BRING ON THE LAWSUIT
BRING ON THE LAWSUIT
6 months ago

Time Warner / Spectrum problems started on BILL CLINTON’S WATCH.

Tan
Tan
4 months ago

Thank you. Everything these days is always Trump’s fault 🤬🤬

Mary Anne
Mary Anne
7 months ago

The only notification I received was that I no longer had the monitoring charge on my January bill from Spectrum. I had to Google to find out what was going on. Typical lousy customer service from Spectrum. They are a terrible, terrible company. I only have their internet because it’s the best alternative in my area.

frank
frank
7 months ago

they are also demanding the return of their panel and one other piece of equipment, BUT they cannot produce a contract or terms of service that was in existence at the time of my purchase (not their current terms of service which is irrelevant) indicating that I both need to return that equipment and in which manner. this is still america. can’t demand something back without proof you get it back. in addition to the issues mentioned in the article if they believe they can force you to take the time to drive it back to them they are nuts.… Read more »

Jim Canes
Jim Canes
7 months ago

If someone has an unused code to donate, I’d be much interested. Thanks in advance!

Shane
Shane
6 months ago

Hello, if anyone needs alarm monitoring service please give me a call. My name is Shane, I work for a local alarm company here in Orange City called Security Pro. 386-747-7343

AnotherUnhappyCustomer
AnotherUnhappyCustomer
6 months ago

I’m one of those people out over a thounds a dollars in sensors. Whoever answered my twitter post actually calls them – our devices. I begged to unlock them, buy them back, or give me a bill credit. The answer is no.

@Ask_Spectrum:

Due to security reasons, our devices are non transferrable to other companies.

We will not be buying back any purchased equipment.

We are not providing credit for any purchased equipment.

Disgusted Oldman
Disgusted Oldman
6 months ago

Seems to me a class action is in order.

Derek
Derek
5 months ago

I will join in on the Class Action as well.

Tom
Tom
6 months ago

I live in upstate New York and the only problem is that Spectrum is the only game in town. Trying to get Verizon Wireless, but don’t know if they are coming to my area. They may not be any better.

John Felicetti
John Felicetti
Reply to  Tom

Tom – try Vivant. Depends on your area, of course, but I’m west of Saratoga Springs and within Vivant’s service area.

Michael Jenkins
Michael Jenkins

How can I sue them?

Jarvis
Jarvis

I agree Class action lawsuit

Alan Rodin
Alan Rodin
6 months ago

If there is a class action lawsuit over this count me in. I am very irate over having around $1000 of hardware go to waste. Why cant they recommend a company that can do a takeover of their system instead of company’s that cost thousands of dollars to start all over. Rip off %[email protected]÷×$&. I have found that ADT can do a takeover of cameras and door sensors issued by Time Warner / Spectrum. It still is costing me over $500 to get ADT in my home. The control pad (tablet) and routers are useless though because Spectrum won’t issue… Read more »

Bill
Bill
Reply to  Alan Rodin

Be careful with ADT they LIE !!! they told me they could do a take over until after I paid a $100 deposit signed a contract then when tech got here I was informed ADT CAN NOT take over Spectrum devices I had to purchase all new door sensors , cameras , water sensor, and motion detectors if I wanted the installation the $400 take over and $40 per month monitoring became over $3000 in devices and $80 per month monitoring..KiCKED ADT REP OUT OF HOUSE !!!.. still waiting for my $100 deposit !!! Don’t TRUST ADT !!!!

Derek
Derek
Reply to  Bill

shishir c babu
shishir c babu
6 months ago

First of all there was no preparatory time given to the subscribers about the change.I came to know of it only in the first week of January!! Second the alternate providers that Spectrum prescribe like Ring and Adobe are far from the full fledged system compared to existing TWC installation. Whoever responsible for communicating and help choose the new prescribed supplier from Spectrum has done such a shoddy job of this whole fiasco leaving customers flummoxed and fuming! It shows Spectrum being so aloof and indifferent to the customers of Home Intelligent/security system for which I for one paid a… Read more »

Deborah
Deborah
6 months ago

I bought my system once it was under Spectrum . I am pissed . I’m sure there will be a law suit . They can add me to there list . I chose though to go with CPI

Alan Rodin
Alan Rodin
6 months ago

I have contacted the Simmons Hanly Conroy law firm. They are one of the top class action law firm in the U.S.
If you would like to join a class action against Spectrum Intelligent Home (Charter Communications) you should contact them as well.

Phone: 855-203-5883
Website: http://www.simmonsfirm.com

Please share this post !!!

bill
bill
Reply to  Alan Rodin

you share the post ..Interested in class action maybe simmons should do a facebook page for spectrum security customers to op in

Derek
Derek
Reply to  Alan Rodin

I’m calling them right now!
Thank you Alan.

Wutsinterweb
Wutsinterweb
6 months ago

This technology is obsolete and it was provided by now-defunct legacy cable providers (Brighthouse and Time Warner) years ago. More modern technology and services exist. Just like Windows XP, it’s now time to move on.

Roux Oli
Roux Oli
Reply to  Wutsinterweb

The system worked just fine. As a matter of fact, as a former Technician for TWC/Spectrum, we were installing new systems not very long ago. Asking people to pay for a new system and then dropping service less than a year or two later is ridiculous.

Beth
Beth
6 months ago

I think this is irresponsible of them . Totally wrong. Can’t re use equipment can’t even use the app they had to at least be able to monitor the cameras and your furnace temp and lights from phone or IPad. Nothing like forcing something down people’s throats and giving no refunds of any kind. Will be looking for different cable and internet in very near future. Hmmm what shall they take away next?

Kenneth
Kenneth
5 months ago

I want to sue them for abandoning my system and my investment in it.

Craig
Craig
5 months ago

They told me I would only lose the monitoring which I can work around. They assured me that the phone app would still work. Surprise, the login is dead forever. How hard would it be to keep the app serviceable? I am waiting for the class action suit to happen. I have thousands invested in this equipment not to mention the painstaking setup.

Randy Rickard
5 months ago

It seems so wrong for a company to just pull the plug most alarm companies that decide to call it quits assigns the systems to another company so I am not sure why they didn’t do that for their customers. We will offer any customer without service a great plan and price to get their property protected. Please contact us in Central Florida @ 321-312-3337 or email us @ [email protected] we will help to make this right for you as we have over 40 years experience in the alarm business.

Paratroop
Paratroop
5 months ago

I worked for them for nearly 20 years then the merger took place. Took me just 2 years to figure out I gots to go. Now this crap is stupid. I took job out of state. They tell me I have to bring their stuff back. I told them I am not there during normal business hours. They told me I could drop it at any Charter store or any UPS. I have a mind to take it to the UPS store right next door to the Charter store in my city and have them pay for the shipping next… Read more »

pedro
pedro
4 months ago

Sherry
Sherry
4 months ago

I also invested in equipment and got screwed , I will join a civil action against Spectrum just let me know…

Sherry
Sherry
4 months ago

I also bought equipment and haven’t had very long also please let me know if you file a lawsuit will join

Henry
Henry
3 months ago

I just found out about this with no notice other than getting a bill from Brinks Home Security! What the heck is going on? And it has a balance due. I’ll join the lawsuit if posted here.

Henry
Henry
3 months ago
Reply to  Henry

Calling them now. Doubt I’ll get anywhere.

Alarm Monitoring Auckland

This is really a great and wonderful article . This is the article I was looking for. This amazing article gives information about charter shutting down home security service in February. Keep posting like this I will come back to you. Come across stsolutions.nz/smart-home-automation-auckland/ and hope you can visit this too to get more information.

LaDawn Tate
20 days ago

Folks, i have been in the alarm industry for over 30 years. This is the 4th time time warner has been in and got out of the alarm industry. You unfortunately got with a bad company.