Home » Charter Spectrum »Consumer News » Currently Reading:

Charter Spectrum Raising the Price for Internet Service to $75 a Month

Phillip Dampier November 2, 2020 Charter Spectrum, Consumer News 52 Comments

Charter Spectrum is raising the price of its internet service by $5 a month starting in December, making most internet-only customers pay $74.99 a month for service starting at 100 Mbps.

An internal customer service document obtained by Stop the Cap! shows the company plans to raise the base internet price for all customers except those still subscribed to a package bundle containing traditional cable television. However, if you subscribe to a streaming TV package like Spectrum Choice, Essentials, or Stream, the rate hike will apply.

Customers subscribed to higher speed tiers (Ultra, Gig) or have a grandfathered Time Warner Cable internet package without cable TV can also expect a $5 increase.

Customers will be notified about the rate hike on their November bill, with new pricing taking effect from Dec. 2, 2020.

3.8 10 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

52 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Matt
Matt
20 days ago

Great timing right after their extended down time across the east coast even in areas far removed from Zeta.

Brian h
Brian h
Reply to  Matt

Time to move on to another supplier. They’ll raise their rates right out of business

Fred
Fred
Reply to  Brian h

Yeah – that would be nice except in my area of central NY there is no other supplier.

Alex
Alex
20 days ago

So basicallly there charging a shii ton of money cause pple are cord cutting and pandameic is still in effect looks like ill be going back to dvd player instead of internet

JET
JET
20 days ago

So what can we do to stop them? My children’s schools have extended on line learning. We really need Ethernet

JET
JET
Reply to  JET

*INTERNET!!

Anozzia
Anozzia
Reply to  JET

Hey jet , go to change.org and start a petition how are single parents supposed to pay for this when majority of them are on a set income and kids are doing virtual classes , this is just not right!

George
George
Reply to  JET

Hotspot

Kyle Allen Mann
Kyle Allen Mann
19 days ago
Reply to  JET

Call about their free internet for students.

Tomeka Lloyd
Tomeka Lloyd
20 days ago

Really a price increase in the middle of a pandemic. It’s not like your internet cost is not high enough. I’m barely making ends meet let alone able to pay this internet bill now you’re going to increase it. do you realize how many children will miss their school work because their parents can’t afford to pay you’re jacked up prices. Shouldn’t this be called price gouging. Where is your compassion? Do you realize there’s a lot of people that is out of work and need the Internet just to not go insane? So cold-hearted.

Anthony Bruno
Anthony Bruno
Reply to  Tomeka Lloyd

We’re no longer in the middle of a pandemic. Internet is still considered a luxury or entertainment not a necessity just yet. Kids spend more time gaming and playing on social media than doing schoolwork. Just look at the national failure percentage throughout the US. The online schooling is failing.

Bill
Bill
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

Huh?, could have fooled me. I live in a Midwest US state and our new CoronaVirus cases are increasing 50% week over week for the same day of the week. Hospitalization rates of people with COVID-19 symptoms attributed to SARS-CoV2 are up by the same percentage. By the end of November 2020 we are on track to have more we COVID-19 patients than space in hospitals in this state. Schools are returning to hybrid or full remote teaching depending on local school district. Pretty much all children will need to have reliable low latency Internet access during teaching hours stable… Read more »

Anozzia
Anozzia
Reply to  Bill

I agree I live in South Georgia and we are still in a crisis with Covid and Internet right now is not a luxury this is required by law in the state of Georgia for parents to have accessTo the Internet for their children to do virtual learning if they don’t attend Then a open case of defacs can happen and the parents will be charged with Not being compliant to school rules , all three of my children are in college, my heart really goes out to single parents who are going to be able to afford this ,… Read more »

Sean R Brockest
Sean R Brockest
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

You’re not in the middle of a pandemic? Cases are still rising. What do you call it? A new beginning of the pandemic?

Jo-Anne Stone
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

Not in the middle of a pandemic? I’m going to fire you with Trump. You two belong together

Independent1
Independent1
Reply to  Jo-Anne Stone

Well maybe if nutcase Pelosi was one bit concerned about American people and less about giving illegals free stimulus money, medical insurance and voting rights, we would have $$$ to help us through this time. But let the hatred of ONE MAN make you vote for a Party your affiliated with rather than the greater good of our Country. If your this triggered now wait till tonight, your gonna need to double up on your meds for the next 4 years.

Kat
Kat
1 day ago
Reply to  Independent1

*you’re, *you’re. Oh, and also hardy har har.

James
James
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

Must be nice over there in 1990…please do go back.

Chaz
Chaz
19 days ago
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

You’ve gotta be kidding me. I’m using internet/online to find a job after losing one due to pandemic. Have some compassion for others who are less fortunate.

David Rico
David Rico
19 days ago
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

False kids are in school from 7am to 4 pm and end up going to bed at 9 pm so in reality they only get to play games or use the internet to how they want to for only 4hrs to answer u correctly Bruno get your facts straight before insinuating anything

GRACIE
GRACIE
19 days ago
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

I know how u feel they don’t care if there is children. My mom has [email protected] home. That morning the cable was turned off becuz of pymt. And I called them to tell them pymt wasnt due but turned it off. They wanted there money dont send M.O they want u to use ur DEBIT CARD. There outa control. I said I would put a bad name there becuz their more interested in people paying first those no breaks. They will leave u broke. Spectrum does not care about kids.

Donna
Donna
20 days ago

How can they do this during a pandemic?! There are so many people that can’t afford it as it is! Kids need their internet for school. What are they thinking?

Anthony Bruno
Anthony Bruno
Reply to  Donna

If people can go out to eat, or hangout at beaches and lakes, then people can go back to work and to school. Society needs to quit using Covid19 as an excuse not to do either.

Bill
Bill
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

Can you explain how what you wrote relates to whether or not Spectrum’s fee increase is justified? I don’t see the connection.

Debb9
Debb9
19 days ago
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

Amen

FUAnthony
FUAnthony
13 days ago
Reply to  Anthony Bruno

People can also perform amateur chainsaw juggling, have unprotected sex with strangers, and be your friend. It doesn’t mean that any of those things are safe or good ideas. I sincerely hope that you lose some people you care about to COVID you subhuman garbage.

Anozzia
Anozzia
Reply to  Donna

Hey Donna , go to change.org and start a petition this is not right!

Kuss khan
Kuss khan
20 days ago

Its starting at 200 mbps* and this is rack rate price.. you’re in a promo for 12-24 months so it’ll be 20 less

Sophiemama
Sophiemama
20 days ago

As the saying goes, bye Felicia!

Anonimous
Anonimous
20 days ago

People don’t be stupid and fall for the source that does not provide the right information. In Spectrum you are lock in a promotional rate for 12 to 24 months depending in the promo. After those 12 to 24 months it increase 9.99 and after the 24 months it will increase another 9.99 putting the service at standard rate. If you have a router then it will be 69.99 if mot then 74.99. I don’t get whats the big deal when at&t and other companies don’t offer you the same speed or tell you they cant give you more speed… Read more »

Fred
Fred
Reply to  Anonimous

Spectrum doesn’t give you a break for having your own equipment any more do they?

Doug
Doug
15 days ago
Reply to  Fred

It depends. If you are on a legacy TWC Plan, or still on ELP, you are not charged for a modem rental if you provide your own equipment. (Modems are “free” with Spectrum branded plans”.)

If you are paying for home Wi-Fi (which is $5 per month), you can get that eliminated by purchasing and maintaining your own router.

There was no notice of an increase on my October nor November bill. I am still on legacy ELP at $19.99 per month.

William
William
20 days ago

It’s a host don’t believe it. It’s good service and very better internet and speed and they are reliable. Better than DSL crap!

Bill
Bill
20 days ago

I’ve got grandfathered 25M bit/s Internet service that was $20/month just before Comcast/Spectrum took over and then raised the cost to $25. Now apparently my service will go to $30. A 50% increase in two years. Sweet… for them. mm wave 5G is starting to deploy in my neighborhood. Hopefully fixed location 5G Internet will be a competition option soon. Right now, Spectrum’s only competitor is AT&T which has a really unreliable outside wire plant, prices higher than Spectrum and data caps. For now StarLink isn’t a practical option here. Even if it were available, StarLink is $99/month plus an… Read more »

Theresa
Theresa
20 days ago

The 75.00 a month only applys to long term customers whose promotional discounts have expired. If this is the case they can contact customer service and ask for Retention. They will be able to help bring it back down. Also, for new customers it should be noted that the price will not be 75.00 because they will have the intro price.

Heather
Heather
19 days ago
Reply to  Theresa

Retention will not help more than once in the lifetime of account. You have to leave spectrum for 30 days and come back.

stephen c neumeyer
stephen c neumeyer
10 days ago
Reply to  Heather

I call them once a year. I have had it for 3 years every year they nock it back down. Mater fact just got off the phone back down to 54.99

Kyle
Kyle
10 days ago

How did you do that? Do you say Retentions? Do you say no to their first offer? How does it go?

Margaret J Morris
Margaret J Morris
20 days ago

Internet is on and off constantly.

Tonie
Tonie

Starlink?

Nick
Nick
19 days ago

Hmm, I noticed that my Spectrum bill used to be $99.74 for Ultra, and in July 2020 it lowered to 94.99 and has been that ever since.

I guess it will be going to 99.99 with this change.

Sussn
19 days ago

They have ripped us off from the begining

Kyle Allen Mann
Kyle Allen Mann
19 days ago

Um, their speeds start at 200 in most areas, and if your promotion runs out, connect to retentions, they can get you 400 for the $75 price and locked in for 3 years with no contract…that is what I did.

Brenda Hunn
Brenda Hunn
19 days ago

Time to get a new service. Al t ready my bill is 192.00 a month from
120 or so. The service goes in and out all the time. They could do better without having to raise prices

Christina
Christina
18 days ago

I just tried to cancel my cable and they said I cant until the last day of the billing cycle or I’ll be charged the whole month for cable reguardless.it freaking nuts I’m so over spectrum,the only good thing is there internet.

Christina
Christina
18 days ago
Reply to  Christina

And now it’s getting ridiculously high..

Kickemjenny
Kickemjenny
7 days ago
Reply to  Christina

Down grade or cancel, Spectrum will not pro-rate BUT, if you sign up for new service or services, then a pro-rata is available.

James
James
14 days ago

Is this article still accurate cause I’m looking at my November Spectrum bill and there’s nothing about a price increase on it.

Kickemjenny
Kickemjenny
7 days ago

As an example regarding “Notifications,” my Oct 16th billing had a due date of Nov 2. This Oct billing was dated 10/20/2020 (electronic statement/email). Thus, I likely will receive NOV on or about 11/20, whereas it may (or not) contain the said “Notification,” which would correspond to “Notifications were scheduled to begin on bills dated 11/3 or later.” Thank you.

Ian M
Ian M
6 days ago

I can’t wait to get fiber service from a local company. It can’t come soon enough and I’m already excited to dump Spectrum when fiber is finally here.