Home » Broadband Speed »Consumer News »Verizon »Wireless Broadband » Currently Reading:

Verizon Delays Shutdown of 3G CDMA Network Until the End of 2020

Phillip Dampier August 1, 2019 Broadband Speed, Consumer News, Verizon, Wireless Broadband 17 Comments

Verizon Wireless customers with older devices still reliant on 3G CDMA technology will be able to continue using them on Verizon’s network until the end of 2020.

The wireless giant confirmed this week it is postponing its retirement of 3G service for a year. The company had planned to switch off support for 3G at the end of 2019.

Verizon spokesperson Howie Waterman told Light Reading the action is intended to give impacted customers “an extra year to decide what they want to do.”

Verizon had given priority to discontinuing 3G service so it can repurpose that spectrum for its 4G LTE network, which is approaching capacity in some areas. The company originally warned customers and its reseller MVNO partners back in 2016 that it would end 3G service on Dec. 31, 2019. It also stopped activating 3G-only phones on its network in July 2018.

Starting in early 2020, Verizon will no longer permit customers to transfer 3G phone service from one account to another, activate 3G service on a pre-existing line, swap a malfunctioning or lost 3G device for another 3G device, or use a 3G phone to roam outside of the U.S. Verizon hopes customers will see the restrictions as a motivation to upgrade to a new 4G LTE phone.

0 0 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest

17 Comments
Oldest
Newest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
Tom Randolph
Tom Randolph
10 months ago

How long will Verizon support Motorola Motog7 Play, model XT1952-4?

mhorgan65
mhorgan65
5 months ago
Reply to  Tom Randolph

That model is compatible with Verizon post CDMA, so you should be good to go. 🙂

DeAnn
DeAnn
10 months ago

How long will Verizon support StraightTalk’s CDMA home phone service?

mhorgan65
mhorgan65
5 months ago
Reply to  DeAnn

Straight Talk already has a ZTE Home Phone device (Z723EL) that supports VoLTE. If you are still using a Huawei Home Phone device, then you need to upgrade to the ZTE in order to continue using the service.

mhorgan65
mhorgan65
5 months ago
Reply to  mhorgan65

Or you can get the Moxee Home Phone which also works with Verizon VoLTE service.

Steven Politte
Steven Politte
10 months ago

t’s gone today

dynamodan
dynamodan
9 months ago
Reply to  Steven Politte

My old 3G phone still works on January the twooth, 2020.

Jade
Jade
7 months ago
Reply to  dynamodan

My 3g still works as of 3/11/20; however incoming texts have been seeing 24 hour delays & then they all rush in at once. That started about a week ago. I can send a txt & person gets it immediately; however their response takes at least a day or two to reach me now.

Jo Ann Ann Roettgen
Jo Ann Ann Roettgen
10 months ago

Is there any way to get a list of phones that will no longer be supported?

NoBs
9 months ago

Amazing to think that t-mobile still has 2 g plans, one of which I’m grandfathered into. Once a year refill for $ ten and I can’t use them all. If it wasn’t so darn cheap I would have tossed it years ago. I also bought one of the best phones I’ve ever had as far as TALK goes, no fancy games or mindless texts on the Page plus ( Verizon network ) , a casio G’zone military type that you can drop on concrete or in water, doesn’t make any difference it still works. All for $ 30 a year.… Read more »

gidget
gidget
9 months ago

had 3g, was forced to go to 4glte… it sucks. service sucks, reception sucks and I had to buy a new phone. Verizon sucks

Corekutz
Corekutz
5 months ago
Reply to  gidget

F.ck Verizon. Bunch of doll part collecting losers.

Paul Johnson
Paul Johnson
5 months ago

Well they notify the person then when it happens?

dustin
dustin
1 month ago

to hell with them my phone works perfect and does what need to do it cost $350 i dont need or want a $1200 dollar phone /computer

greg
greg
1 month ago
Reply to  dustin

Before you get too pissed off, do you know if this even affects your phone? I can only imagine it would only affect a small number of phones. Also, worst case scenario, you could just buy another inexpensive phone.

I’m just a customer, but in my eyes, since technology is always progressing it doesn’t seem feasible that cell carriers should continue putting time & money into maintenance & repairs on tens of thousands (?) of ancient outdated cell towers, (which ultimately would fall back on customers anyway).

greg
greg
1 month ago
Reply to  greg

Also phones prices slightly cheaper if bout elsewhere (e.g. BestBuy, Amazon.com, even some independently owned verizon stores)

Danny Crockett
Danny Crockett
1 month ago

This really sucks. Only purpose I own a cell phone is to call and receive calls. That is why they created the telephone. I don’t need all the extra things smartphones do. Will definitely search out other cell phone providers to see their intentions on 3G. When I find a good provider… Bye, Bye Verizon.