Home » Verizon »Wireless Broadband » Currently Reading:

Class Action Lawsuit Filed Against Verizon Wireless for “Mystery Data Charges”

Phillip Dampier March 1, 2010 Verizon, Wireless Broadband 100 Comments

A class action lawsuit has been filed this week to recoup what a law firm has called “improper data charges” for Verizon Wireless customers who discovered $1.99 fees on their phone bills for “data charges” many customers claim they never used.

Goldman Scarlato & Karon, P.C., a law firm with offices in Cleveland, OH and Conshohocken, PA, filed the suit against the wireless giant in federal court in New Jersey.

The lawsuit alleges non-smartphone customers frequently incurred “data fees” on their monthly Verizon Wireless bills.

Karon

Stop the Cap! reported on this in 2009, and believes most of the charges appeared after consumers accidentally triggered their phone’s built-in mobile web browser.  Although Verizon Wireless claims it does not charge for accidental access, customers report otherwise.  Many have fought to have data access blocked to prevent future charges.  The fees potentially impacted any account that does not have a monthly data plan.  Verizon Wireless offers a pay-per-access plan starting at $1.99 for non-data customers.

The lawsuit seeks to reimburse customers should the charges be deemed improper.

The law firm is looking for those charged for data services that believe they were billed incorrectly.  Customers can e-mail the firm at [email protected] or call attorney Daniel Karon at (216) 622-1851.

1. TM says:

I found this on my Verizon bill last month on both my phone and my wife’s phone. When I called and complained they didn’t make excuses they offered to remove the charge and said they could completely block the web access if I wanted. So I did.

• Bill says:

You can completely block data access to stop the problem, but this will also kill picture messaging. Not a great option if you ever want to download any pictures from your phone.

• ex-employee says:

There have been blocks put in to place to block all data and not affect picture messaging. Just an FYI. Call Customer Service and ask for them.

• Conrad Senior says:

That is not true. For somephones, they will not allow any block at all. In four lines I was able to block all data but not allow text or picture messaging. I was paying a premium for text and picture messaging on two phones and unable to use it. In one case I had to unblock it completely to allow picture messaging. Verizon removed many of these charges after much arguing. I still received these charges even after I had blocked data. In fact I blocked data on the same line five times. Each time I got another $1.99 bill for data I ‘d call and be told I could block data–it was never done. Verizon was ripping people off on purpose.

Verizon needs to suffer a major lawsuit to punish them for this deliberate theft of customer $$’s.

• Nancy says:

we received charges even after blocking all internet services and my daughter did as well. we have unlimited pix and messaging. never go online. never download or upload. usually go to manager to have removed but get tired of doing this every month!!!! and as megan states below: this costs me time and money. and time is money. so im triple charged.

• JAZ says:

VERIZON BIG SCAM, CHECK YOUR PHONE BILLS REGULARLY… check your data coverage…overcharged again and again. Don’t believe their reasoning, they lie continuously…

I agree with Verizon wireless Scam 100 percent.

They promised unlimited minutes,text and data usage for maximum $220 per month 2 lines.
      ($149.00 for unlimited mins and text,
      data $30 per month plus taxes and surcharges)

Except they keep sending bills and arguing there is NO request for unlimited usage in their files.

Same issue every month for 3 months..YES !!! …. Bills are over $500 each month…

After spending 20 LONG hours with their store staff and corporate office for the past 80 days, no results.

VERIZON is demanding $1,800, for Dec 2010 and Jan 2011 bill and early termination fee!!!!!! in order to keep the same phone number.

After 10 long Years and giving them over $55,000 plus in phone BIlls ————We will join Sprint and get the amazing rates.

Pls read this again, it is TRUE…. if you are not a VERIZON victim now, you wont understand the frustration…

(1) If you do NOT have any services through VERIZON DO NOT join them your better off going to another service provider like Cingular Wireless, TMOBILE or Sprint/Nextel

(2) If your experiencing any billing issues With VERIZON WIRELESS IMMEDIATELY Contact the Federal Communications Commission via their website or via mail and complain about them.

(3) File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau

(4) Contact your Attorney generals office.

5) Did you know they also bill millions of clients one month in advance, imagine the revenue that generates for new equipment ..they use your money for investments… ;-)

GoodBye Verizon, helloooooo Sprint ;-)

• Brian says:

Verizon is just a giant money grab, I was told by the store salesman when I changed phones that I would be credited for my data plan which was never used and my account would start over at a zero balance…. I have been arguing with them for months over this and they say they have no record of this so I owe them regardless. Every time I try to rectify this I get the giant run around… from so called supervisor to manager etc…. for hours on end with no resolution. From my perspective they lock you in to a plan and then essentially charge whatever they want… with no recourse on your part. Something about all this seems blatently illegal.

2. spz says:

I have had to call Verizon Wireless serveral times to get credit for the 1.99 mb charges due to my touch screen phone accidentally triggering the get it now or mobile web and its
    like pulling teeth to get credit . The last time I called for the credit for this they argued with me and were very rude and said they were valid charges, but finally said they would this one time but not in the future but I had to block a dfferent data feature that would block my pix and video use, how much sence would that make! I feel like I have have been scammed by Verizon with this 1.99 mb charges for months and they are not doing business with integrity as they claim. I used to be a former employee of Verizon Wireless and got call after call and complaint after complaint by customers who were charged for this same thing and that its just another way for Verizon to tack on an extra charge to the bill. Lets do business with some honesty and integrity verizon and stop scamming and ripping people off.

• DC says:

Yes that would be great if not only Verizon, but all cell phone companies could operate with integrity, and honesty, but they don’t .. Think about it, 1.99 charge to how many millions of customers 87 million minimum, for just 1 month results in $$17,3130,000.00 possible profit depending on how many people notice the charge and call for credit.. I work at one of the call centers in customer service, and i remember when suddenly started receiving call after call about this strange 1.99 mb chg on their bill///I told my sup, “mark my words, this will generate a class action lawsuit, people will not tolerate such scamming of their hard earned money””/// The lawsuit is only a drop in the bucket compared to what they rob customers of// And how about the even larger scam generating a so called “subscription” prem messg 9.99 chg for things like “text alerts”,, “send me mobile”// Some of those 9.99 prem mess subscriptions are legit, and the vendor really does offer a service rather then just offering to steal your money // And perhaps just a coincendence, a very questionable coincendence , for the last several months our paychecks have suddenly changed and no one can make any sense as to what they are really being paid for// Additions here, substractions there, no explantion, or justification as to why, my guess is to cover the cost of the lawsuit they just lost// Mark my words again, there will be another class action lawsuit!!!

3. Megan says:

Ive been a vzw customer for 12 years and have saved my own bacon due to NUMEROUS charges and/or lack of the company reps providing the correct info. Not to mention the hundreds of hours spent trying to resolve simple and complex issues.

How do I join the class?

• D. Kirby says:

I have saved my own bacon too on many of these charges. I have been with Verizon close to 12 years I think, and carry 5 now 6 different lines with them for data and phones. Until this year I would have said they are responsive when there are issues because let’s face it, the person on the phone in customer service or tech support is not the one doing the programming of the charges. The administrators are the sneaky ones. I have always encountered helpful customer service staff in the past. This year has been a nightmare with them. If it were not for having tried the other carriers and having a worse experience over the years, I would have switched this year.

If there is payment for the hours of time I have spent on the phone receiving credits for their billing errors or billing issues because some sales person did not provide the correct information, then I want in. I have been a “loyal” Verizon customer out of default, but they certainly need a shift in management, programming and some integrity training for the executives who ignore the numerous complaints about nuisance charges. I have been told many times this year that it would be my one “customer service credit”. I will keep calling to get my credits as long as they put charges on my bill that are not accurate, and I encourage others to do the same. I always escalate. If the first level can’t help, the next one can, and so on and so on. It costs me hours overall sometimes but I get results. If I could find a mobile service with the same options and coverage I would switch everything.

• D. Kirby says:

If there is payment for the hours of time I have spent on the phone receiving credits for their billing errors or billing issues because some sales person did not provide the correct information, then I want in. If there is a refund for their “surcharge” plus “administrative” fees, I want in on that too. Where does that money go… for them to figure out new ways to charge consumers hoping we won’t notice? Again, I have always found the customer service people to be helpful & understanding about innocuous charges and very willing to remove them. They are not the ones who program it to charge us for the administration of the phone, isn’t that just part of the fee we pay? I mean really. Surcharges and administration fees seem excessive to me.

4. Willie Mae Pope says:

I woild like to join the class action suite against verizon.

• Jeanie Bernas says:

I’m sitting here reading this mess with Verizon. Let me add something to this forum. My husband and I had to get the wireless internet through Verizon because of my college courses and traveling to Hawaii. Before the month was up (so we could cancel if we didn’t like the service) our card was turned off due to a $3600.00 fee for 4 days of usage. We told them to turn it off then and fix the problem. They never did so it ended up in the corporate office, etc. We were told after more than 30 phone calls if corporate didn’t have our phone bill now .. then they could have reversed all those charges… They finally did us a favor by taking off 2/3 of the bill leaving us with just 1300.00 to pay BUT charged us three different times to reconnect three different phones.. then a 165.00 fee for turning the card off.. when it was suppose to be off in the first place.. They were charging us for blackberry phones we did not have.. and to top it all off.. They stole an extra 308.00 out of our checking account instead of the 200.00 they were authorized. So there’s 508.00 floating around somewhere.. and over 400.00 in overdraft charges (because we were closing this account out) blah blah blah.. They have lied to us and now they are lying to our bank… I filed a complaint with the FCC and am working on a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I’m now on nerve pills and anti depressants because of the stress this company has caused my family and the thousands of dollars that we do not owe.. I need some suggestions here. Thanks ..

Jeanie

• Karin says:

We had the same thing happen when we first got our phones. They said that internet would be free for the first month and then we could decide if we wanted to continue and pay for the service. They sent us a bill before a month was up and the bill was over $3,000. My husband called and called then kept them on the phone for almost two hours before they agreed they would try to reverse some of the charges. He had to keep calling them back, arguing with new people and then finally got most of it reversed. We still had to pay around $100 to be on their monthly plan which we never wanted in the first place. The very next month they were charging us over $1,000 once again for data/internet charges and my husband said the game was to keep them on the phone for so long that they will finally give in. We finally got them to cancel the monthly data unlimited service which we never wanted in the first place and never should have had to pay for because the first month we were told was free. Verizon needs to be sued as through the years they have scammed us out of lots of money and one time it took us almost ten hours of arguing in a week to get them to cancel our old phones and acknowledge that we had purchased a new plan. They like to keep billing you for your old plans and your new plans, two separate bills if they think that they can get away with that too.

• JAZ says:

VERIZON WIRELESS BIG SCAM COMPANY…….. CHECK YOUR PHONE BILLS REGULARLY…

I agree with Verizon wireless Scam 100 percent. Comments I am reading on this thread…. I can totally agree, the staff at Verizon trick you in sighing the contracts.

Bunch of Crooks, you can spend hours and hours trying to solve the bills, it happens again.

They dont really care, or give a damn, about your time, why should they, they are getting paid.

($149.00 for unlimited mins and text,
          data $30 per month plus $10 for a second line… plus taxes and surcharges)

Same issue every month for 3 months..YES !!! …. Bills are over $500 each month…and some months $700, go figure….

If you have your billing on Auto Pay on your visa card, or chequing account for convenience, Beware !

If you have a demanding job, and a a busy personal life…. lol…… You are doomed ….CHECK YOUR MONTHLY STATEMENTS, YOU ARE DEFINATELY BEING SCAMMED…. if they can get away 1-2 times, they will keep doing it because you are a perfect target, trust me been there , speaking from personal experience.

After spending 20 LONG hours, with their store staff and corporate office for the past 80 days, no results. …100 plus hours last few hours…..disputing Verizon bill…

VERIZON is demanding $1,800, for Dec 2010 and Jan 2011 bill and for early termination fee!!!!!! in order to keep the same phone number. Ha ha , they know how to get you!

(3) File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau

(4) Contact your Attorney generals office.

GoodBye Verizon, helloooooo Sprint ;-)

It Feels Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Good! Wow!

• JAZ says:

“I’m now on nerve pills and anti depressants because of the stress this company has caused my family and the thousands of dollars that we do not owe.. I need some suggestions here”

Jeanie,

You are not alone…I was so sick last weekend, when I couldn’t make a out going call….to my clients early sunday morning….I was directed to financial services…… I was told I owe them $789,83 for month of January 2011
        I paid over $1,000 in Nov and Dec , pls don’t even ask me for what…. so stressed from trying to figure out….. I thought I paid in full and I was current, that is what they told me in Dec 2010…. they are now saying I didn’t pay for October… In October they said I didn’t pay for in June etc etc…. the stories don’t end….Liars!!
        Do you have the time to take another morning off ? or an entire afternoon off work and dispute the bill, and play phone tag each month? When you have deadlines to meet?
        Verizon knows if they stress you down enough, they can get the extra cash…… people give in…. they have scammed many, there should be a lawsuit for stress and mental anguish beside all the overcharges…. don’t you agree?
        And trust me You are NOT alone,
        You are speaking for at least 100 people that are frustrated, stressed, hurt and angry but are silent…they dont know how to come forward or cant be bothered writing about their experience, or simply don’t have the time for this nonsense and they move on….. A good lawyer would know how to reach them ;-)
        Jaz

5. Kathy says:

Are there any class action lawsuites against Verizon for not honoring discounts from Alltel customers for the duration of their contract? How can they change the contract (which I am locked into for 2 years) before it is up? I was an Alltel customer who was absorbed by Verizon.

• Can you use the contact form (link upper right of the screen) and send me details about this.

• Lynn C says:

Horrors! I was an Alltel customer for years with only 1 problem and that was because I went to one of their contract offices instead of their actual office (I learned quickly). With Alltel I had service even during our hurricanes, creating a bond with them that I would not have broken. Whammo, Verizon buys out Alltel and there has been nothing but problems ever since for me. It is amazing to me that the laws allow a company to buy another and force the customers to comply with a contract made with the other company but does not force the new company to provide the same service that the prior company did. Verizon made no effort to convert the Alltel equipment or software and it has been hell for my family and me. My daughter got fed up and decided to pay the cancellation fee of $200. Don’t believe for an instant it is just $200, with all Verizon’s fees and tacked on governmental fees and taxes it is costing more than $260. I chose to stick out the contract until it expires but they are making it very difficult with their poor business and billing tactics. There was a reason that Alltel was a good company and Verizon wanted them (when there was an error they actually listened and worked with me). Verizon is missing the boat and as soon as my contract expires, I won’t look back!!! May the force be with you if you allowed them to keep your banking information, after all Verizon is so very honorable (sic).
      Thanks for allowing me to vent rather than explode.

6. Christine Gabriel says:

I just spent an hour and a half fighting with Verizon on the phone over charges on my bill for SO CALLED DATA charges. The phone number in question had a block placed on it back in April 2008…mysteriously even though I have a security pass code the block was taken off. Funny how that could happen as I am the SOLE administrator of the account. Verizon told me they can only credit me 3 months! I am sick of these companies taking advantage of the little guys….count me in for the lawsuit!

7. LESLINE NEMBHARD says:

VERIZON OVERCHARGED ME FOR AN AIR CARD I HAD NEVER USED. I AM OUTONE HUNDRED Ars. i have contacted verizon costumer care and their financial dept ,and sent script from my bank ,but failed to return my money or to get in touch with me concerning this situation,even though ed that someone would contact me. it has been at least six molnths since this is going on.

8. SpringIndigo says:

I would like to join the lawsuit! Our bill was always much higher than it should have been, so we just stopped service with them!!

9. Rebecca says:

I have nothing but disgust for verizon. I HATE them. I have been lied to and lied to by their sales reps.

1. purchased a wireless broadband network card for my laptop. Supposedly it was to be $59.95 per month with 5 GB was told by the sales rep that it was “virtually impossible” to go over the limit. I believed him because I had a similar card with AT & T and never went over.
    First bill $500 , next $1500! When I called to ask WTF is going on, I was told “oh you must be downloading music or video games alot” Ahhh NO way I am 55 yrs old no way am I spending my days downloading!

2. I am a small business owner. I had 2 phone lines in my store for the last 2 years. The bill has never been over $119.00 . 2 verizon sales reps came into my store, convinced my husband that we could add DSL and keep the 2 phone lines and pay less each month. The bill, per these lying, cheating Aholes, would “never be over $109 a month”. This was last Sept, 2009. since then we have never had a phone bill less than $500. They cut off the service if you are 3 days late. Bill make no sense at all.

Verizon SUCKS

10. Bill says:

This happens to me all the time. I have traced it to a game on my cell phone that periodically goes out to ‘check for updates’. I never download any updates, but I get dinged for $1.99 every time just because it queries the web. I got tired of calling Verizon every month to argue the charges so I asked them to block the internet. The problem with this is it kills my ability too send/receive pictures messages, which is a service I am paying for. I am trying to find a compromise, but Verizon is absolutely unwilling to address the issue. Maybe a lawsuit will get their attention.

11. Michael Vawter says:

Verizon is deliberately denying cable service to TiVo users by automatically turning their cable box off after software and programming updates. TiVo is not able to control the Verizon box when it is off and therefore records what Verizon refers to as blank screensaver. I have lost hundred of hours of programming. This is a well known problem and there is even a special forum on the TiVo web site that discusses this problem. Several solutions have been proposed, and Verizon has even claimed to fixed the problem but it still persist. This only became an issue earlier this year. I have had Verizon service (FIOS) for many years. I can only speculate that Verizon made a change to the cable software that causes this problem. Note this effects both the standard and HD Verizon cable boxes – I rent both. I also rent an HD DVR from Verizon, but I am not sure there is a similar problem. The conspiracy side of me says Verizon is purposely causing the problem to get consumers to drop TiVo and rent their DVR system.

I am an engineer and have made multiple complaints to Verizon about this problem. They claim it is a TiVo problem and to use a cable card to correct the problem. I do have the third generation TiVo that supports a cable card. I can assure you, it is not TiVo causing the problem. I have not been successful in obtaining any satisfaction from Verizon customer or technical support.

12. JANET MACKENZIE says:

I am reconsidering renewing my cell plan with Verizon. What I want is a Droid, but I can’t fit into my budget the additional cost of the data plan. My intent is to add the data feature later, once I do have the money.

Anyway, my question is… do you think it makes sense for me to join in on the suit if I am merely considering getting the Droid? The way I see it is their requirement to add the data package is prohibiting me from being able to get the phone I want.

As an aside, I noticed on their website that the required data package is $29.99 – am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks,
    janet

• Steve Wilson says:

You CAN get a cheaper data plan, but Verizon insists you have a data plan with any Smart Phone. That’s one of the ways I got screwed. They set up my second line for a Blackberry I didn’t have – so I never got to put the phone *I* wanted on that line and I got to pay for the data plan for their imaginary phone.

• Ex-Tech says:

In regards to joining a class action lawsuit because you can’t get the phone you want because it comes with a required data plan I would have to say that would be a rather frivolous addition. The DROID is a Google device… Google being internet, internet being data, the bare essentials of the device mean you would need the 29.99 data for your own good. Imagine being billed 1.99/mb for your phone doing what it does. Not to mention not having access to almost every aspect of your phone you are paying for if you managed to get data blocked. Seems like if you can’t afford a data plan perhaps you should not be getting a smartphone in the first place.

• Route 123 says:

You’ll be sorry. The Droid plagued me and my friends also. Verizon has corrupt billing practices.

13. Penny says:

I first had Midwest Wireless that was bought out by Alltel which was just bought out by Verizon. With each switch I had to change my phone because something on the new system would not work on my old “previous provider” cell phone. Verizon has yet again said that for the “data charges” I can not block anything as my cell phone is too old and that I need to get a “verizon” phone. My phone is not even a year old and last year when I had to replace my old phone as it was only a year old and died and I lost everything. Enough about phones, data charges, rude customer service. You want to talk about dishonesty and unfair practices…just say Verizon. In May I called and asked what I should do about leaving for a trip in which I would go out of my phone zone. The customer assistant that I talked to informed me that to avoid roaming charges I should temporarily switch to a national plan. I asked several times if I would be able to go back to my previous plan and was promised that I could set the start and end date for the new national plan. Well can you guess what they did? Yep they did the old bait and switch and from what I know about law….or what I thought about law was that this practice is illegal. Verizon started the new plan almost after I got back from my trip and plus would not set me back to my old plan. So now I had over 2 times the old bill plus roaming charges and less minutes. All I can say is my last call to Verizon was asking when my contract was up and what the termination fee is. By the way the $200 might be well spent.

14. Steve says:

I was with Alltel for 15 to 20 years and a very happy customer, never a problem. Then verizon took over and it has been a problem ever since. First off let me tell you that we are truck drivers and travel all over the US. We were in Texas when our laptop died so we went and bought a new one well our alltel air card would not work in the new computor. This was at the time when Verizon was taking over, so we had to go to Verizon and get a new air card. By the way we had unlimited with Alltel. The sales person in Verizon sold us a new card and got us on the road again. From that day forward we have had to visit a Verizon store about our bill every month. Last month was the final straw. We did not like the 5 gig limit to begin with and did not trust it so we were watching it closely so we thought. When the MB’s got up near 4100 we called Verizon and they said you are no where near your 5 gig. Well when the bill came in it said we used over 8 gig and instead of our bill being 200.00 it was over 400.00 for the month . Since this has happened we have already dropped their phone service and may have to drop the internet and pay the penalties.

• Route 123 says:

I have screen shots of data transferred exceeding several MB’s in a session that was a few seconds long and all that I had done was log on. I used more than 3 GB’s researching there corrupt billing and credit failures. VZW are financial rapist. The customer service agents are commissioned on the overages, therefore they hold their ground regardless of the facts. Standard response ” I don’t have that information.

15. Steve Wilson says:

Last year I added a second line to my plan. Last fall I called Verizon and asked to have their “Mobile Broadband connection removed. They said it had been. I just added up my bill and I’ve been paying an average of over $190/mo for a $120/mo plan. And I was never able to get my old ENV phone working on my second line – because Verizon had the line set for another Blackberry – and charged me for one (complete with $29.99/mo data package). After CONSTANT email and phone calls, they admitted today that I shouldn’t have been charged – but refuse to credit me for more than a little over $100 because – ready? *I* should have realized I was being overcharged and fixed it. I mean, I call for an explanation of charges and their explanations never explain anything. One of their “customer support” reps told me the other day that some company I’ve never heard of has contacted Verizon and had a $10/mo fee added to my bill for a service I’ve never even heard of – so now they say I’m liable for this $10/month. I said I wanted to add a $10/mo fee to every Verizon employee. They said it doesn’t work like that. I guess it only works like that when someone else wants to add to MY bill.
    I’d LOVE to join a lawsuit against these idiots. You know, just out of boredom last night I googled just “class action lawsuits against Verizon Wireless for overcharging”. There were over 1900 hits.

16. Paul Moncrief says:

LET’S KICK THE GIANT IN THE KNEECAP AND PUCNH HIM IN THE WALLET for FINANCIAL RAPE.
    I’m exhausted from dealing with Exec CS. Over 8 hours alone last week.
    Additionally, the Roadside Assistance Plan they offer at $5/month per line of use, FAILED to answer two calls from my daughter stalled in the fastlane of a Portland tunnel. This left her helpless and in a very dangerous position for herself and other motorist until she was rescued by a highway patrolman. They offered a $5 credit for that months service fee.
    I will not be cheated from this FINANCIAL RAPE.

17. Mckisa says:

Much like the other stories you have heard, the same goes for me. I just got off the phone with them as I do every month to have credits applied. I too have a $129.00 per month plan with data blocks on my childrens lines and a 9.99 data package on my phone and my bill continues to escalate to $225 plus every month. Removing data charges and fees for services that had been blocked since Dec of 2009 from my kids lines is a monthly chore. When I asked how much to cancel all lines, she politely and rather quickly said $515.00. Now they can get that figure right, but can’t get the billing correct. She confirmed that we did not exceed any minutes, or 411 calls that cost $1.99 per call (without warning). but the bill is still $190 with my employee discount – REALLY? In the past 3 months I have been billed and paid $897. Unfortunatly, Verizon home service is no better with their bate and switch techniqure for the $89.00 bundle that actually costs $160 because they dont tell you that you will need a reciever for EACH tv in your house to watch it and taxes cost in excess of $21 per month.Did I mention I do not have any premium channels at all. Unreal, what they can get away with. Please send me informatin on this class action suit.

• Uncle Ken says:

It is a shame that not so long ago Verizon was looked upon as the saving
      grace that could or would make many of these problems go away. Then
      they changed. Picture all you wanted and fiber to the house as a bonus.
      then the backroom deals started. As predicted it quickly spread to all
      major providers. Caps and tiers quickly becoming the norm and when
      contracts run out what a surprise people are in for espically for areas that
      have no options. Board members and share holders are loving it. The
      deals will go on except much deeper under ground.They wont make that
      mistake again.

• Brenda Weber says:

I won’t be locked into an agreement again. I buy recent phone models from Ebay and have them activated. You’re only stuck with a plan to get cheaper phone pricing. Ebay has been a saving grace for me when a phone has been broken. I’ve used this option many times and it has worked out great. You just need to know what you want in a phone.

18. Joe Williams says:

I dropped the family share plan because my g/f hardly used her phone and the monthly bill was getting outrages and her phone was hardly used,so I switched over to the 59.99 plan for myself and everymonth the bill is 30 to 40 dollars over the 59.99 and I hardly use the minutes or the text….some days I never use my phone…..I e mailed customer support today and asked why my bill is so hi and I am waiting for an answer…..I feel like I am being raped because i am in a 2 year contract and to get out of it I have to pay and they know it….send me the info on the class action law suit thank you.

19. Katina Cosby says:

I just got off the phone with Verizon, after re-directing a situation that happened to me back in February of this year. I purchased cell phones for my 3 children back in 2008 and at that time immediately put blocks on their lines because they were only needing their phones to text , receive and make phone calls. The problem comes in where on Dec 24th 2009 I purchased new phones for my children because you get a free upgrade every year. Well when I purchased the phones, OF COURSE I told the sales rep to keep the blocks on the phone because my kids weren’t allowed to browse the net or anything that requires paying extra money. Well In February I receive this Outrageous bill for over $2000 for one month of service. Of course I’m thinking WTH!!!!! is this an April fools joke in February. I immediately called them and to my surprise they told me that the charges were valid. I told them that there were blocks on my children’s phone and they did their research and discovered that they had made an error and said that the blocks had fallen off. First of all,,,How does a block just fall off???? They of course said that they would be able to do a credit for one my children’s phones because it didn’t require a data package, but that the other phone (Samsung Rouge) did and that they couldn’t put a block on that particular phone and that the charges for that line which were over $500 for one month were still valid because the Rouge required a data package for $9.99 for up to 25 MB or you had the option of paying $29.99 for unlimited usage.I was told at the time of purchase that the Rouge had a data package but at no given time was I told that you couldn’t block the data.I understood that I would be paying an additional $9.99 for the package that my child (supposedly) wouldn’t be able to access because the phone was blocked as it has always been since 2008.I disputed the charges and was on the phone for over 2 hours explaining to the rep that I was never told that you COULD NOT block the data usage from the phone. At the time of purchase I didn’t mind paying the extra $9.99 that was required because that was the phone that my daughter wanted even though she wouldn’t be able to use the extra features that the $9.99 provided. The rep told me that there was nothing that they could do about my daughters line because 1. They said there was no way that they could block it and 2.It was outside of the time frame allowed for them to adjust the $9.99 to $29.99 for unlimited usage instead of me having to pay close to $600 for charges that they couldn’t even tell me what my daughter had even been on to have incurred that outrageous amount. I explained to the rep that it’s not my fault that the rep didn’t inform me that the data couldn’t be blocked and if so then I never would have purchased that particular phone. I didn’t understand how they can charge me for usage that they say they couldn’t even see due to security reasons what my daughter had even been on so for all I know they could have made this info up too.I also didn’t understand how even though they made an error (on purpose) obviously thinking that I wasn’t going to question how the blocks that I have had on my kids line since 2008 just drop off without authorization. Who in their right mind would take blocks off of their minor kids phone?The other crazy thing that I dont understand is that they acted as if I’m the one who committed a crime. GO FIGURE THAT!!!!!!!! The rep told me that she would add the $29.99 for my sons line to cover the mistake that they had made for not keeping the blocks on the phone and that it would only be a one time fee of the $29.99 instead of the $1500,and that I wouldn’t be charged for any months after that. First of all I didn’t understand why I even had to pay for that when if they had done their jobs and kept the blocks on, that this wouldn’t have never happened in the first place. Well of course they lied again because I noticed that my bill was still high so I called to see what was going on and the rep told me that I still was being billed for the $29.99 that now on my sons line had been supposedly blocked. And I also was paying to receive detailed paper statements that I never got.What I didn’t understand was how they can correct their mistake with one phone but not honor my request to only pay the $29.99 instead of $580 something for a mistake that I had no control over. These people are DEMONS. What ever happened to customer service especially when I’m the innocent victim.To make this part of the story short ,I had no other choice than to pay for the charges on my daughters line because I didn’t want my credit affected.If you are reading this whole story you will not believe what happened to me today. I also have the Samsung Rouge with the $9.99 a month data package for 25MB. Well since I am already close to my 25MB usage I decided to use my daughters phone since I’m having to pay for it and she cant use it and since I was told that IT COULDN’T BE BLOCKED!!!!!!! Well guess what happened when I tried to access my email. THE SERVICE WAS BLOCKED. OK at this point I’m saying these crooks have lied to me again and then when I called to confront them about this the rep by the name of Tina told me that they probably wouldn’t do an adjustment because they only can go back by 90 days.l was thinking to myself that If this is true then I was initially lied to about being past the grace period after a few days from when I requested to pay the $29.99 for the month for my daughters charges instead of the $580 that I shouldn’t have been responsible for in the first place because I never took any blocks off of my kids phone. I think that Verizon pays its employees to lie because they lie so much that every time you talk to a different rep… its always a different story.I proceeded to speak with her supervisor so that I could be reimbursed for the fraudulent charges that I had paid for.The Supervisors name is Jennifer ID # 463453 who was very rude and basically told me that no matter how much I explain the situation that I was wasting my time because she wasn’t going to adjust the charges. She told me that I had called in back in June and placed blocks on my kids phone and that is why my daughters phone wouldn’t access the site.First of all I never called in to Verizon to have the phones blocked because I never ever took any of the blocks off, I was calling to see why my bill was still high and that is when I discovered that the blocks after all of the other above drama… still was never put back on due to their error which surprisingly they admitted, and that’s when I also discovered other charges that had to be adjusted because they weren’t authorized so the rep said that she would put the blocks back on and she also was confused why they just fell off. You have to keep a very close eye on this company because they are nothing but crooks.The Supervisor named Jennifer told me that she had a copy of my contract in front of her and that I agreed for the $9.99 data package plan. Well duhhh!!! If you purchase the Samsung Rouge you have to agree to pay for the package whether you use it or not because it automatically came with the phone and was mandatory. I told her that that doesn’t justify why I was lied to about the phone not being able to be blocked when in fact today is when I discovered that it could. She kept telling me that I called in and placed blocks on the lines in June which was after the fact of the outrageous bill charges And I kept telling her that I never took the blocks off.And they have no record of me ever calling in taking the the blocks off, because that wouldn’t even remotely make any sense for me to do. I told her that no one in their rightful state of mind would take blocks off of their minor children’s phone.I was so upset while talking to this lady that my heart began to race and I began to have chest pains. I’m 37 years old and I felt as if I didn’t calm down that I would have a heart attack. I’m appalled at how this company is getting away with ripping people off and I cant even imagine how they prey on the elderly or someone who doesn’t have the patience to fight back and stand up for their rights. I told Jennifer that I guess I will have to take this matter to court because I want my money back, not only for all the fraudulent charges that I have paid but for my time and pain and suffering that this issue has caused me and kids.I’m so sick and tired of companies like this taking advantage of people, it disgusts me.This lady even had the nerve to ask ” well if you were disputing the charges then why did you pay the bill”? I told her that I paid the bill because if I didn’t it would go on my credit even though they are fraudulent charges. Like I said earlier, they said that they couldn’t even tell me what my daughter had even went on because they didn’t know and couldn’t access that information without a police report to investigate. Again this sounds like another lie. I told Jennifer that I will be filing a claim against them so please add my name to the list of others that are sick and tired of being taken advantage of.And for the few good employees that work for this company, may God bless and keep you because I know it has got to be hard to work for such an evil company.

20. pam says:

Ok had it with Verizon and all the misc charges . 9.99 data charges, 1.99 data charges and premium messaging charges 9.99 for months and they refuse to remove them . Please include me in the lawsuit and i have been a customer for about 15 yrs .

21. Jennifer King says:

I have spoken with Verizon numerous times regarding data charges on my phones. I have 4 phones on a family plan. There were data charges for months on my mother and father’s phones. At the time that this was happening, my parents didn’t even know how to text! There is no way they were accessing the internet on the phones. Verizon refused to give me any credit whatsoever. I was told that you cannot accidentally access the internet on your phone, that you would have to actually hit the accept button for it to happen. I know this is not true. My phone has a quick link button straight to internet which is located in such a place that I hit it by accident very often. Of course this a phone that is only for Verizon. I bet I have close to $100 in data charges in the last year.

• Jennifer, it’s actually very easy to access the Internet on my Verizon Chocolate phone just by pressing the wrong button, which I’ve done regularly. I have a grandfathered plan that lets me access mobile web pages by counting them against my bucket of minutes, so I avoid those $1.99 charges. If you are getting lots of these kinds of charges, it’s probably coming from mistaken access.

Call Verizon up and tell them to block access to data services altogether.

Then, if you file a Better Business Bureau complaint asking for these unauthorized data charges be credited back to your account, that usually does the trick.

Start here: https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/getstarted.aspx

Select cell phone complaint from the list that follows and follow the procedure to complete the online form. Although Verizon Wireless has only earned a B from the BBB, many of these kinds of complaints result in no-questions-asked credits just to resolve them.

For Katina, who wrote a few weeks earlier, the same procedure is recommended for you — and for anyone else going through this.

I guarantee a class action lawsuit will probably fatten some law firm quite nicely while customers get a free case for their phone or a coupon for something you have to buy from Verizon — the same company that victimized you.

What you want is full credit and a block on accessing data services. Verizon can do it. If a representative says they can’t, ask for a supervisor. We’re watching this issue closely, so let us know how you make out.

22. Tatter says:

MANY COMPLAINTS; ongoing issues.
    a. Billed each month, for past 5 months ($1.65 to $5.28) for ‘data’ usage. HAVE NEVER transfered or
    recieved 3rd party data. (Verizon data, billing: yes)
    b. Have asked, and submitted my phone to their office for DISCONNECTION of any possible ‘data'; STILL BEING BILLED; no change.
    c. (and the worst); they always say they will “credit my bill”; but any changes they theoretically do DOES NOT SHOW UP; so repeated calls.
    d. Other than the above: Great service, Great reception; makes AT&T look like a feeble pretender.

23. Susan French says:

I fought with Verizon for four months and five bad Droids. They are completely fragmented from one center to another, one rep to another. They lie. They deny. They can’t give you a straight story on charges. Now, after I left them for the IPhone, they’re chasing me for $181 I don’t owe them and they can’t justify. It has now been referred to a collection agency and will go on my credit record…and I’m still fighting them to get an explanation or have them remove charges.

I had to go through the BBB twice, the FCC twice and finally the attorney general’s office. Apparently, I’ll have to go back through them again.

Think, people, they are merging with Google! I get shivers at the thought.

Susan French

24. tim lamrock says:

in the course of a few years verizon makes up data charges,for miss use of buttons at 2.99 a pop @ 1500 any time minutes and freinds and famiy kept going over on my minutes so they say verizon was just screwing me at the tune of 250,00 to five hundred a month keeping me barryed in a big bill had my phones ported to sprint paid a hundred to verizon on my bill one wekk the next week in retaliatoin they sent a 500.00 dollar bill to collectoins on me some one needs to put a stop to this”CORPRET PIG SCREWING GOOD PEOPLE OUT OF THERE MONEY’ concerned phone user

25. tim lamrock says:

i would be willing to join in on any lawsuit against these bastards in any way shape or form make a complaint to the better bussines beuro, federal trade commision theses corpret pigs need to be put in ther place with a milloin dolar fine a week for screwing people over

26. Dave says:

I have a very similar problem with their FIOS home service. There is a charge for a security bundle and a game play pak that i never request that will show up on my bill. This has happenned a few time over the last couple years. Fortunately my wife is very aware of the bills and catches it. They turn it off and refund but it is a hassle.

27. mark aiello says:

Count me in with the class action law suit. Verizon is BS. Ever since verizon took over alltel, i have not been able to keep up with my bill that just kept going up every month. Yah i finally dumped them. sue me. i never signed crap with the bums. count me in.

• laurie says:

I never received payment for this lawsuit, my sister did $65.00. I was charged fees and never received payment. I’m on a govt watchlist and am being chased by their illegal mobile ops crews that steal, maim and kill people and freedom and democracy. What gives? Why is america going along with this. I deserve to have the things and life I have earned and worked for. I can’t even get or keep what I earn. Why are you all supporting this illegal, criminal community policing bull-crap? Why am I denied the right to work and raise my own child in my own country? I am a hard working innocent woman being politically murdered by groups like the citizens academy. Screw you and your crime ring, these are bad people, all day, everyday. What are you going to do about it, wait until they come after you? They will, they are bad people.

28. Jeanie Bernas says:

Jeanie Bernas says:
    October 4, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Jeanie

29. Marie says:

Verizon has been over charging me since 2008. Five dollars on my phone for my vcast, they said my phone only needs a $9.99 plan and $15 a month for my daughters phone for internet service I didn’t order. They gave me a 3 month credit on my daughters phone and told me I should have caught it sooner.

30. Judith Wilkes says:

I fell that I have been over charged by Verizon Wireless I was charged for calls made from Verizon to Vreizon. I never got a copy of the contract that was made Nov. 14 2009.
    Besides the $5.00 a month for data.

31. M. Berger says:

For those that talk about requesting a block on data….. My wife and I went through that MORE than once, and they STILL charged us for data. Data that was never used. So, whatever. lol

32. vallory says:

I’m 1 of the unfortanate 1s who had alltel during the buy out.they said they wouldn’t change our contract, & they didn’t. Instead they jacked our phone bill up from $220.00 a month to $330.00 & month. When I called them they had no explanation, & I was told I must be wrong because they are not. Well, I keep my old bills, & I compared. With alltel, we were charged for taxes 1 time @ the beginning of the bill, & that’s all. With verizon were charged the initial taxes @ the beginning of the bill, & then charged taxes on each individual phone.we have 4 lines, so were being taxed 5 times. The extra taxes on the phones that verizon is charging costs $110.00 a month. Imagine that. & then we got charged 4 the data charges also, but they would only credit us for 2 months of the data charges, equaling $11.99 but we’ve paid hundreds out. Our bill is never the same, & every month when it arrives in the mail, the hair on my kneck stands up, because I’m afraid of what I’m gonna find on it. I HATE VERIZON!!!!! All they do is steal from us, & they lock us into their thiefer for 2 years. When my contracts up, I’m going back 2 pre-paid. At least then you know what your getting.

• Amanda Le says:

I have a family plan with 3 lines. 2 of the lines are not smart phones and don’t have a data package. I noticed these $1.99 charges on my bill. When I called, Verizon said I accidentally pressed a button that went into the browser. So I decided to put a block on data for that line. When I saw the charge again, I spoke to my sister about it and found out there is a class action law suit. I asked the user of that line if he goes on the internet, he said no. I checked the shortcut buttons to see if he could have possibly “accidentally” pressed a button that will take him to the browser, and none of the shortcuts or side keys take him to the browser. So it isn’t possible to have accidentally go to the browser. I looked over my past statements and found 4 charges of $1.99 on the same line. I called Verizon again. He said that I accidentally pressed the browser button. I said it’s not possible, I found out about the class action suit, he went through my bills and credited back the charges. I am a happier Verizon customer now. Definitely watch out for these charges, I am sure the Verizon customer service associates are aware of this issue.

33. Jae says:

I’ve had Verizon for years as a Family Plan, I changed the plan to a Single Plan user with unlimited text and 1100. Minutes for one month the bill was $487! I went round and round with them, they said that I never changed my plan nor did I ever have unlimited text. They couldn’t explain the data charges either! This went on for months still never got it resolved so I took my number and went elsewhere. US that have been taken advantage of should get reimbursed if this case is won.

34. Folks may want to check out our home page for an article on the latest tricks and traps from Verizon and AT&T.

35. Clive Houston-Brown says:

We are 14 months into a 2 year contract with Verizon Wireless – I have had to contact them a number of times to remove false Data Download, VZ Navigator, and Text messaging from my phone AND to block those services permanently. Each time the say they will put a permanent block on and 3 times they have credited me for 2 months of improper charges, but now as I study all the bills I see I have been charged for Verizon Navigator for all but 2 months of our contract. Because I have combined billing I didn’t catch it for a 6 month period after the first time they agreed to credit me and remove it from my phone – which they did for exactly one month.

Each time I call them (and spend an hour or two in phone queues) they say I must have gone into VZ Navigator and selected Sign Up for the service – a crock of bull. My wife has it on hers – as she is supposed to and as shown by our original purchase receipt – but I was never supposed to have it, as shown on my original receipt. What is strange is that our third line (for the kids) has never had the issue – only mine. In 10 months we will get off Verizon Wireless and never consider going back.

36. Loretta Hill says:

Verizon have been during this for years, that one of the reason that i left them for the hidden charges. I don’t think I had them for a year. They refuse to resolve any thing, now this is on my credit report, because they refuse to do anything. It did not stop me from changing company.

37. Lk Burke says:

Here’s a new Verizon rip-off: they preload a monthly data access charge of 44.99 on every Blackberry sold. If you want the 29.99 plan, the sales rep has to override the preloaded charge at point of sale. Did not happen with my phone and I was charged higher rate. Plus taxes and surcharges which they won’t credit until some future point, they expect me to pay the surcharges now on an amount I don’t owe.

How many people are “preloaded’ to be overcharged because the 6 page bill is too hard to figure out? How many sales reps forget, don’t care, aren’t trained OR are expected to allow the higher charge, regardless of what they tell the customer?

Is there a class action for this? LKB

38. Christine Brochier says:

I would indeed like to join the class action suit.More than likely have been paying there Data charges for 4-5 years…When I caught it @ $44.99 per month they only credit me for 4 months or so.They said they could only go that far back,.I bet they owe me alot more money….

39. chris a. ortega says:

I feel like i have been over charged for years but Verizon explains all the charges are justified and what can a person do about it but early in 2009 I tried the internet cards that plug into my laptop for internet at my office I had 30 days to return the two cards which I did and by the way I got three cards for whatever reason but before the thirty days were up I returned them as they did not work very well at my location. I started receiving bill after bill and after dozens of phone calls I was assured that it was going to be taken care of and low and behold I started getting calls from collection agencies and my name was turned into the credit dept.and now my credit is tarnished and when I last called there is nothing that anyone there can do to help out. What can I do???

• Jeanie Bernas says:

CONTACT THE FCC AND THE BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU… and good luck… They did the SAME THING FOR ME but I had the $3600.00 in charges on my air card for 4 days… Still fighting this mess.. and now it’s threats to be turned over to a collection agency… and THEY HAVE YET TO STOP OUR SERVICE after phone call and phone call to stop the service.. UNBELIEVABLE that they are getting away with this. It makes me insanely angry.

40. Tommy Snider says:

I keep getting screwed by these clowns month after month i can let ya go into my online account with these guys cuz its nothing but crap im supposed to have unlimited internet and lookin right now there saying i owe em an additional $239.40 for it.. PLease help this is going way to far!!!!

41. Cheryl Tucker says:

I am absolutely sick of being ripped off from Verizon over the years. I was foolish and signed another two year agreement after the first one was over. Now almost one month before my second two year plan was complete, my phone broke. I was not going to get another one through the insurance and stay with Verizon. So I switched to AT&T on the main line (was on a famliy plan). I called Verizon before I did this to find out the scoop and to find out when my daughter’s plan expired. I told them the situation and that my phone had broke and wanted to switch plans. They told me that I would obviously get the $65.00 termination fee, even though I had less than one month left on my plan. I knew that and had no choice as I didn’t want to buy another phone and stay with them. I was told my daughter’s plan expired one month from then and I would need to keep her phone on the plan until the month was up or be charged another $65.00 termination fee. I did that and got the exact date she should switch to another carrier. She switched on the date as required. Today I get the next month’s bill in the mail and I am about to sue Verizon if they don’t remove these charges. They charged my daughter’s phone for overage minutes of 900+ at .40 per minute as they said she was only allowed 100 of the minutes out of the 1000 minute plan, because the main number of the plan was disconnected. That doesn’t make any sense, since I was told she had to keep the plan going or I would be charged a termination fee. They can’t do both, but apparently they try. My bill is $488 and I am not paying it. I was never told that her number should be moved to be the main number. It is kind of obvious if the main number is disconnected then the other number should be the main number. Otherwise she would not have a plan at all. This company does what they want to do. They are never consistent when you speak to the reps. I have had extreme bills ever since I have had them. They charged me for drop calls and charged me for minutes used in another area months after they occurred (as their excuse was that they didn’t get the info. until later), but if the minutes had of been charged in the month they occurred, there would have been enough minutes in that particular month. BAD COMPANY THAT NEEDS TO GET A DOSE OF WHAT THEY ARE GIVING OUT TO CONSUMERS. I for one expect that they credit my bill or I will file a lawsuit against them.
    I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND VERIZON TO ANYONE FOR ANY REASON. The hassle and the stress every month is just not worth the phone you may want and can only get through Verizon.

42. Cassandra Snyder says:

This line especially describes my situation:

“Stop the Cap! reported on this in 2009, and believes most of the charges appeared after consumers accidentally triggered their phone’s built-in mobile web browser. Although Verizon Wireless claims it does not charge for accidental access, customers report otherwise.”

Me and my boyfriend shared a plan through Verizon for about three years. A couple months ago I received the bill and it was up to $1000 for the month. I called Verizon and talked to them about it because the extra charges were from data usage. While on the phone, the lady told me that the $800 some extra charge was from internet usage two times on my boyfriends phone. First of all, he doesn’t use his phone for the internet because we have it at home through our local internet provider. And second, $800+ for two times on the internet is outrageous, even if he was purposely using the internet on his phone. The lady proceeded to explain that was a common problem with his phone (Palm Treo). She said that a lot of people were having the same problem of the internet being accidentally triggered. After she told me all this, they didn’t offer much to help with the bill so I told them that they aren’t getting the money (because the extra charges were a default in the phone) and as of now our cell phones are shut off and we had to buy prepaid phones. I absolutely loved Verizon’s service until then. I can’t believe they would do this and admit to it on the phone then do nothing about it !!!!

• Jeanie Bernas says:

Hi… Mine was $3600.00 for 4 days of use but not steady use… They shut us off without warning and then called to ask us when we were going to pay this bill… I thought it was a joke… We did not use this .. and how can someone use this much data in 4 days when we do not stream videos, games, music, etc.? We were moving during this time and argued and argued… Still fighting with them.. They’ve yet to turn our service off after repeatedly telling them we are severing our contract… and will continue to dispute this charge.. OH and the best part is.. We sent in a payment via debit card.. and on that card they took out $508.00 instead of the $200.00. They totally stole from us. I’m researching lawsuits pertaining to my problem every day. I want answers to why (it seems) the employees of Verizon is trained to call us liars when they know there are issues. GOOOOOOD LUCK SWEETIE!!!!!!

43. Michael A Gibson says:

I had Verizon back in 2008 and incurred similiar charges. I had unlimited everything for 136 dollars a month before taxes. I started seeing these 9.99 and 1.99 DATA charges on my bill. I did not think anything of it at first, but then my bill kept being 350 dollars a month and one was for 455 dollars which i have not paid yet. I would like to know from someone how to get involved with this Class Action Law Suit that is filed against Verizon for these charges.

44. theresa allen says:

Hi. can any one tell me please whats with this suit. my husband would so love to join in on this, there is way to much for me to get in to it now but we as well paid 400.00 a month cell bills with verizon an just started paying internet charges for my husbands cell and he just did not use that internet on his phone i would have to show him and do it for him as well. we did have the internet and had to drop it was told my bill would drop to 255.00 a month my bill never went lower then 348.00 a month and no one could tell me why. then get this i had a bill one month for 1,300.00 for one month ok i called and got this fixed now the kicker is it came back to me over a couple of bills i called back and was told then when you get a credit its not really a credit. it will come back and get you. come on whats with that. and oh yeah there is more way more. we never have signal i mean never we drop calls more then i dont know what. sa we paid for a service that we were not ever getting and come on i live 3 miles from a tower and a man from verizon told me we live to colse and i should consider moving to a new location when you live so close it will not work. and yeah still there is more. can some one out there please help me and if any one knows anything about this lawsuit please email me at [email protected]
    please help us our phones were cut off and now thanks to this nice company our credit will be hit hard…..theresa

45. Robin says:

I feel I had the worst exp. I was with them for years and I had received upgrades and added a line. We have always had unlimited texts becuz I have 3 teenagers that’s how they communicate. I checked my bill online and it says 6500$ my jaw dropped. I called them immediately and they said the guy had clicked unlimited text but didn’t apply it to the phones. So they said it would take a month for the charges to roll off. So when the next month came around it still said 4000 something.. they said it will take another month to roll off. So again I wait and look at my bill the next month all the while I’m making 200$ payments cuz I don’t know how much my bill is. The next month it still says 900 bux they said that was the taxes from the 6000 charge and that can’t come off and I said it wasn’t my fault that u guys charged me 6000 why should I be stuck with the tget stuck with taxes that aren’t mine.. they didn’t have an answer for me so I cancelled my service and they said that I would be charged 175 per line and I said it was a bunch of bull crap! I still cancelled becuz I feel very violated by them

46. gina stofel says:

after being with alltel/verizon for 7 years in which there were never 2 bills alike, i figured out
    they were hidden fees all over the place. the icing was when i recieved 3 consecutive bills
    over 1000.00. i called the first month they gave me credit. i called the next month and they told me i had been put on 3 different plans . i know i didnt do it so they gave me credit AGAIN. the third month they said all they could do was 50 % of bill which left 841.00 thats
    when i told them to cancel my service. my son was paying 29.99 package so the usage couldnt have gone over. they wouldnt budge. so now on top of bill i am paying 110.00 to
    have phones shut off. am i entitled to join in this lawsuit?

47. Andy says:

Please add me to the law suit. I’ve been getting “DATA” charges all over my cellphone bills for a couple years now and verizon doesn’t have an answer for me on where they are coming from other than that I must be using the web on the cell phone and accruing the charges. I have NEVER used the web on my LG 8300. If I were, I would get a more internet user friendly phone. I have an unlimited text/pic. plan and already had my “web access blocked” on the phone but verizon informed me that my “Back-up Assist” uses the web when it backs up my cell info every day? That doesn’t explain all the data charges that show up on my bills. Something has to be done about this unexplainable inconvenience.
    Please add me to the Class Action Lawsuit.

• jaz says:

Hi there,
      After speaking with few present and ex employees that worked at Verizon….. I am planning to take action, I could use the extra help, to make my case even stronger …. send me your experience directly to my email, not on the forum pls. I can make a great presentation with all the ongoing Verizon scam….

Also considering to make a video presentation, for utube…. checking into domain names, verizonscam.com…. lol!

This message is intended for everyone that has been scammed by Verizon….to contact me directly.

48. Traci Ly says:

Verizon has been unfairly charging me cell phone fees for services i did not subscribe or used under my family plan. The first bad experience is charging me for messaging costs because they informed me that a family member used the service. I paid the costs and informed them that i want all messaging capability to be cancelled. They did that; however, in two months, i was again charged a messaging costs.

The second bad experience is that they charged me for internet use and downloading from the internet. They charged me for the usage over $60 per month. I did not have the time to contact them so I allowed them to charge me two months of such services. During this time, since my bill was 165 (my plan is $100), i did not understand where the additional cost was coming from and did not pay. They disconnected my phone. I paid the remaining balance to reconnect. The second month they again charged me 165 and again i did not know and did not pay. I was again disconnected. Note that each time i was reconnected, i was charged a 30 fee (total of $60). Not only was i charged for the internet use of $65 each month for two months, i was charged $60 for connection fees.

When i finally research and discover what the charges related to and confirmed me my family members that there were no usuage from our end, i contacted Verizon. They refused to credit they until further research. They informed me that while they would credit me back for the internet costs, they would not credit me for the reconnection fee (even though these costs were due to the internet error). I was on the phone with them for 2 1/2 hours. with no results.

Next day, I contacted them again. This time, they credited me for the reconnection costs. I wasted 3 hours on the phone. i still have not confirm that they have credited the internet charge.

• christina says:

I have a chocolate and was told i have to have the internet in order to use the phone. Other option was junk phones I never use the internet on my phone but still get charged

49. Raeane says:

I just called Verizon the other day, because my husband had a $50 extra charge on his phone bill, because he went over his minutes. He doesn’t talk on the phone that often so I called Verizon and was wondering what caused him to go over, and the lady I spoke too, said that he had about 120 minutes of data charges on his bill, he was over by 105 minutes, keep in mind. I said okay maybe he went on the internet, but I was a little suspicious about that, because he wouldn’t know how to get on it, let alone use it if he did. When I got off the phone with her, I asked him about it, and he denied ever going on the internet. I went back and looked on his bill, and each data charge was only a minute. I then went and looked at his phone, and found that on his phone it had a button that would automatically go on the internet if he bumped it. I called verizon back and explained that he wasn’t getting on the internet on purpose, but when he would go to his contacts he would bump this button, causing the internet to connect, and that is where the charges come from (I immediately deactivated this button), they told me because he had an old grandfathered plan, instead of getting a 1.99 charge it would charge him a minute. I asked to get the charges removed, and they offered to remove half the charges, and I said that I wanted them all removed, and they said they couldn’t do that, because it wasn’t their fault that he was doing it. They also said, that they would only remove half the charges after he updated his plan (more money in their pocket every month). I told the person I wanted to talk to a Supervisor, well that was a mistake. The Supervisor was very rude to me and told me that she wouldn’t even have offered to remove half of the charges, because it was his fault that he was doing it, and when she looked back on his other bills, there were also a bunch of minute data charges then also. I explained to her that we never noticed it before, because he had never gone over his minutes. She said that it was in plain black and white that he would get charged, and once again I explained to her that he wasn’t meaning to get on the internet, but it was because where and how the button was placed, that was causing him to bump it. Make a long story short, she said that it was our fault not Verizon’s and that they would not remove any of the charges because they weren’t at fault!! I am not happy, and he has been a customer of them for over ten years, and we are now looking for a new cell service.

50. Rebecca Sharp says:

Like the rest of you, I have been ripped off by Verizon for months, it started back in December, 2009, which seems to be the date set to “RIP OFF AS MANY CUSTOMERS FROM HERE ON OUT UNTIL WE GET CAUGHT” kickoff date. I have been with Verizon for over ten years. I check my bill every month online. When I discovered the first “Data charge” it was for $2.99, then in January, 2010 it went up to $9.99. Every month without fail I called them and spent hours on the phone just trying to get a credit for the overcharges. Every month they apologized and “manually” removed the charges, the “computer does it automatically” it what I was told by serveral employees. Since I am the inventor of the DEBIT PHONE, back in the day, I knew the “LG phone that you daughter has REQUIRES the data package for proper useage” was a bold face lie. I let them know that her phone will not suffer a nervous breakdown or CRY if it does not have the “data package” on her phone. Neither her, nor I ever purposefully of accidentally used this service. We didn’t order it, didn’t need it and didn’t use it and I demanded it be removed from both the lines. Finally after days of arguing I got a “Supervisor” on the phone that was willing to give me SIX MONTHS credit, as my contract only allowed a 180 day refund policy. I told him, David Employee #2225 that he will refund the total amount for the 11 months charged or I will see them in Court. Also told them that Verizon had just settled a class action lawsuit in California for 50 million dollars for doing the exact same thing. David didn’t care, as by this time it was abundantly clear to me that these employees are trained to shovel out the Bull**** to their dedicated customers in an attempt to scam as much as as fast as they can before they too get caught and sued. They also changed my daughter’s contract date to February 2012, when in fact my daughter has no contract with them. She had a phone on my contract only, without a signed anything from her to Verizon. When I finally had enough and went to MetroPCS on the 24th of November by bill was 345.89 and today by bill is $1002.57 HA, are they ever trying to scam. Since it was just off on the 24th, the over $600 difference is more scam items. They will attempt to bill me with “early termination” of my contract fees, I’m over it as it was they that terminated, violated and breached my contract, not the other way around. They left me no choice but to switch phone service. Bear in mind folks the $9.99 is not including francise, sales, federal tax and surchage fees. Cudo’s to Mr. Karon for undertaking this class action. Also, folks, please file a complaint with your State Attorney General’s Office, The FCC and the FTC, easy to do online, I did and already have a reply. Godd Luck to all and God Bless, we must stick together to fight these corporate scams. I actually think that this is the result of the Mortgage Fraud success, follow suit and grab while you can until caught. Rebecca

51. sam-i-am says:

This is unbelieveable…everything listed above are the same games they are playing with me. I get the mystery $1.99/mos data charge and they cannot tell me what we did to incur it. Then i get automatically upgraded in data plans without my knowledge or consent. Verizon is a very dishonest company, and they are stealing from consumers. I find it shocking all of this has happened to soo many others. And yes, the data blocks for us also end up mysteriously removed. Legal action needs to be taken against Verizon….but i saw the small settlement recently….that is a joke. We should ban together, and donate the money to a charity or to pay our national debt – let’s not settle for anything less than $1T.

52. Judy Murphy says:

I was an Alltel customer before Verizon buyout. Never have any problems. Now (thankfully) my contract has run out.
    Yesterday I went online w/ Verizon “chat” questioning how I was going over my 500 minutes when I hardly used the phone. I was told that my minutes were used with INCOMING CALLS as well as outgoing. When did that start? She said “it has been like that” and that only SPRINT does not use air time w/ incoming calls.
    I have had the same plan for 4 years and it was never like that before.

53. Martin Schwartz says:

My girlfriend and I have been having problems with Verizon ever since she got her Droid phone. When mystery charges started appearing on her bill, we asked the local representatives why they were there and we were told that sometimes a message will appear on the screen and, if not declined, will be automatically accepted. They refused to remove the charges until I told them I thought the practices were illegal and then they were removed and blocked. Now her phone has been suspended for having over $500 in voice data charges when we told them at the outset that she didn’t want voice — only text — because SHE IS DEAF. They refused to look up her account to see where the charges were coming from and told her to do it herself online. Unfortunately, when you try to set up an account on their website, they send a temporary password to the phone WHICH THEY HAVE SHUT OFF. We got her a new phone from Sprint and we are seeking litigation against Verizon to remove these charges and nullify the contract. I intend to notify the FCC and the Missouri Attorney General’s office for investigation. Any information anyone can give us would be appreciated.

54. On July 12, 2010 five months ago this sixteen year old girl brenda Calerdon took it upon herself and walks in saying she wanted a palm cell phone with texting, internet, photos, games, and the works. She said she knew me; I was in college at the time. order location(15184 01 #514856 pmt 1 of 1 order type p3. The sales person didn’t bother to ask her for an ID or any money down. Instead she walked out with it. I didn’t find out with Verizon until August that I got a huge bills with 3 phones # I went in person to the verizon store an ask why do I have 3 numbers they said that there was a phone added on my line and that co-workers do not know who help the 16 year old. I told them to disconnected that particular line that was added on my bill. The manager could not do that for me to look for her and get the phone back and returned it to the store. Now, who give the co-workers the right to get a phone and added to my account without my authoritarian with no knowledge of who she was and stucked to my bill and ruin my account. I keep getting calls harssing me everyday to pay the full amount.

On August 18th I called the verizon store to terminated her phone line (956) 483-9572. I got a called from Verizon store in Harlingen, Texas 78550 asking my perimisson if she could change the number without me knowing. I told melissa the person I spoke to for her to take the phone away from brenda and she said she could not do that. I told her that I do not want for her to keep the phone and to paid for her bill for using my services. Until now, I am not getting no where I want to sue Verizon Wireless for $ 5, 000.00
    for abusing my account and charging a outraged bills of $ 1052.46 and ruin my name

I also called the fruad dept. and Yvette whose work as
    investigator at the fraud dept could not help me with my problems. I went to the McAllen Police Department and filed a police reports the investigator was not very helpful.

55. On July 12, 2010 five months ago this sixteen year old girl brenda Calerdon took it upon herself and walks in saying she wanted a palm cell phone with texting, internet, photos, games, and the works. She said she knew me; I was in college at the time. order location(15184 01 #514856 pmt 1 of 1 order type p3. The sales person didn’t bother to ask her for an ID or any money down. Instead she walked out with it. I didn’t find out with Verizon until August that I got a huge bills with 3 phones # I went in person to the verizon store an ask why do I have 3 numbers they said that there was a phone added on my line and that co-workers do not know who help the 16 year old. I told them to disconnected that particular line that was added on my bill. The manager could not do that for me to look for her and get the phone back and returned it to the store. Now, who give the co-workers the right to get a phone and added to my account without my authoritarian with no knowledge of who she was and stucked to my bill and ruin my account. I keep getting calls harssing me everyday to pay the full amount.

I also called the fruad dept. and Yvette whose work as

Here is Brenda Calderon date of birth 1/27/1994 her SS# 634-42-2515

56. Brad Weldon says:

I have been a verizon customer since it was available in Colorado I have 4 phones on my account
    Im one of those people who calls Verizon almost every month to object to my charges.
    Last month I was told that I could Block the Data Charges on all my lines “HURRAY” I finnally get to fix my problem .
    Now I get my bill and find that because my Daughter had broken her phone and replaced it with a used blackberry device They charged me a Data Plan for that line .She then replaced that phone with a junk phone and now they want to charge $1.99 MB Usage.I wont go into detail about how worthless the insurance is on a smartphone.
    Once again I call and talk to a representative ,who tells me its not a problem and I will be reimbursed .
    Im sure I’ll have to call again next month and change something again.
    They tell me that If I choose a new smart phone It is mandatory that I pay for a Data Package
    Im sorry but I dont understand why I have to pay for something I will not use so that I can use the phone of my choice .They have the capability to block this service but refuse to do so
    Because of this Data Package Policy Im Unable to purchase the new phone of my liking.I know other people who have the same problem and do not want to update their devices for the same reason .It seems that the phone manufacturers would want something done about this as well
    I would very much like to join in a classaction suit that would address the problems that myself and the others on this site are experiencing
    I really think that the Manufacturers of all devices would benifit as well and would be happy to help in this endeavor,and I intend to contact them

57. Irish2u says:

This is crazy, we have NO choice or NO voice in what we wan and do not want, Their are many like myself who do NOT what this or do we use it or ever will…
    Verizon says then get non smartphone, so it seems we have to choose from the crappy phones, and Just because we would like to use the nicer phone for our own reasons, like Camera/Pictures/Video that are good,Outside speaker phone,mp3/nice sound, strong vibrate, that have media cards, etc.al BUT we do NOT want or are we interested in using the internet…So we must by the package, so my daughter also is not interested and we are MILKED 120.00 a year that we just give away for FREE, being on a fixed income, and daughter with a new baby we can really use the 120.00 since we do NOT use the internet or ever will…
    the phone i have and wanted to hook up was a clam shell lg 8360 and who would text on such a phone ? or use it for the internet ? but because they consider it a smartphone i have to buy the data package i refuse…
    Why is it we can NO have what we want and don’t what on our phones, they can shut the service off, Just like cable you choose what you want and thats all you pay for…
    They need to be sued and monitored, also if over turned they must pay use back everything, example , in my case the 120 a year +the tax that was added + interested on the total sum…and pay each of use 10,000 for their BS….
    Everyone that does NOT want this or use the internet should get lawyers, and Bombard Verizon with letters, Demanding the change and repayment of forcing something one use we had little or no choice at all liking it or not….San Jose Calif

58. cindy gutierrez says:

I’ve been with verizon for almost 2 years and they ripped me off after family member hit internet data
    by accident .They refuse credit my account say owe for data1100.00 which crazy they won’t help
    me at all reduce bill want pay full amount college student how could pay that this economy
    SHAME ON YOU VERIZON ! Tired shady business practices added unlimited emailing
    up for that nor other shady charges on my bill, The customer service rude won’t help
    you.I am so angry for what they did to me.

59. James says:

My family had to buy the cheaper $10 per phone limited data pack for our phones because we need texting and the only texting phones require data plan. So we are paying for data and a seperate texting plan. Thier excuse was they can not turn off the data on these particular phones. However since it was so easy to accidentally go over our data limits we had that feature turned off. Now we can not access the internet at all. However are still billed for the data. LOL wait a minute they told us it couldnt be turned off.. hmmmmm that is exactly what they have done… scammers! $240 a month for two year scam
    Is there anything I can do? can anyone help us or are we just stuck?

60. john mack says:

VERIZON HAS DONE EVERY SCAM IN THE BOOK, AND CONTINUES TO DO SO,
    BECAUSE THEY CONTINUE TO GET AWAY WITH IT. IF YOU ORDER SEVERAL
    PHONES ON A FAMILY PLAN, THEY “ACCIDENTALLY” START BILLING EACH PHONE
    SEPARATELY, SO THE BILL IS HORRENDOUSLY LARGE. WHEN YOU CALL
    TO CORRECT IT, THEY USE EVERY EXCUSE IN THE BOOK. AND THE FIGHT
    WITH A DIFFERENT JACKASS BEGINS, WHENEVER YOU CALL THEM.
    —-THEN WHEN YOU EXAMINE YOUR BILL, THERE ARE VARIOUS OTHER
    OVERCHARGES—LIKE THE ONE THAT CHARGES YOU FOR MOBILE TO
    MOBILE CALLS, WHEN YOUR TOLD THEY ARE FREE. THAT USUALLY
    TAKES HALF A DOZEN CALLS, TO A HALF A DOZEN OTHER JACKASSES,
    WHO COULDN’T FIND THEIR OWN BUTT, IN THE DARK, EVEN IF THEY
    USED BOTH HANDS. —– NOW YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND SOMETHING.
    THE MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OF EXTORTED MONEY THEY GAIN FROM
    MILLIONS OF CUSTOMERS, MAKES THE LITTLE
    CLASS ACTION LAWSUITS (THAT ONLY MAKE THE LAWYERS RICH)
    SEEM LIKE NOTHING. SO YOU MUST UNDERSTAND THAT CRIME PAYS.
    AND PAYS HANDSOMELY. WHEN VERIZON GETS “SLAPPED ON THEIR
    LITTLE HANDS”, THEY APOLOGIZE, AND THEN START A NEW
    EXTORTION SCHEME NEXT. THEY GET THEIR HANDS SLAPPED FOR
    THAT EVENTUALLY, BUT SINCE THEY MADE MORE PROFIT, THEIR SMALL “FINES”
    MEAN NOTHING. BECAUSE CRIME PAYS. VERIZON NEEDS TO GET
    KNOCKED ON ITS ASS, ONE TIME, BUT GOOD.

61. John says:

I work for AT&T…for those of you who think it is a good idea to have cell phone service with us on non-smartphones….bad idea!

We STILL charge $2.00 each time someone accidentally gets on the internet without a data package. Of course it can be blocked, that’s not the point because you can’t use MMS when internet is blocked.

I keep wondering when the big-wigs of AT&T will find out about this class action lawsuit against Verizon and fix the problem! I was one of the millions of (former) Verizon customers who received a check in the mail for the unintentional data usage.

62. J. K. Byrne says:

From the internet I find that your firm is involved in a suit against Verizon for bogus data download charges.

I have had the problem twice, once for 1.99 and once for 9.99 (most recent bill for the period January 20 – February 19, 2011.

Today (March 1, 2011), after a lengthy conversation with “Steven” we got (we trust) the 9.99 charge removed. This does not seem like an accidental hitting of a web connection button. In fact “Steven” told us the charge was for “automatic updates” or “horoscope services” or “something like that”. We told Steven that we do not use services like that, at all – ever. He was unable to give us any specifics about the alleged services, saying they were just “in the system”.

It seems to me that when a company engages in a practice of charging customers for services not requested or rendered, fraud is involved.

I am not pleased about having to scrutinize my Verizon bill for fraud monthly. I would like to add whatever weight I could to the effort to stop this practice.

J. K. Byrne

63. Dolores Jones says:

Verizon is ripping off customers by removing alerts and ignoring parameters and limits for data you may have placed on your account. When you call them to complain about 900$ bills they tell you they don’t know how it got changed. YOU ARE NOT SAFE YOUR ACCOUNT CAN BE HIGHJACKED ONLINE and THEY WILL TELL YOU THEY HAVE NO WAY OF CHECKING TO SEE HOW YOUR PARAMETERS GOT REMOVED…IMAGINE ….TAKE YOUR BUSINESS ELSEWHERE OR YOU WILL BE SORRY… I AM heading to court hoping to sue them LOOKING other victims will be contacting media..planning to fight them!!!